TruGreen Lies and Poisons

My neighbors use TruGreen.Their lawn looks dead.

Mine is green. I don't use a lawn service or lawn chemicals. My soil is the same as theirs. The point is that TruGreen tells my neighbors that the chemicals are safe and "organic-based," which to me means the base can be organic with anything added to it.

TruGreen came a month ago and sprayed *** and grub killer on my neighbors' lawn in 40 mile an hour winds in advance of a big rain storm. Not surprisingly, the spraying didn't work because what chemicals didn't get blown all over the neighborhood got washed down the storm drain. A month later they are here again. My tongue is burning and I have a headache so I assume TruGreen is Spraying a generous dose.

The man who sprayed wore only rubber gloves for protection and no mask or protective clothing. His pants were wet to the knees with lawn chemicals. It is supposed to rain for the next five days so he will be back again in a month when my neighbors complain that the grubs and weeds remain. Why do my neighbors, also my friends, place their fear of weeds and grubs and love for their lawn ahead of the environment and their friends' and neighbors' health?

They do it because TruGreen sales people have told them that their products are safe and organic based and will dissipate within 48 hours. My neighbors don't seem to get that dissipate means to go into the air for all of us to breathe. Grrrrrr.

I hate TruGreen.Agressive sales and deceptive practices.

review #150190
74 49 Helpful?
Had the same issue25 Comments44
Had an experience with Trugreen?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 15 #995461 Buffalo, New York

Looking to move my amazingly nice neighborhood just because of the toxic smell and dangers.

Air m

Aug 01, 2014 #849869 Solon, Iowa

Tru Green poisoned my land today. In my 60 plus years I have never sprayed any chemicals . They sprayed my property which was the wrong address. And then they blew me off. So my organic garden is no more. My tongue and lips are tingling. This is an outrage. They need to remove the soil and grass and replant. They need to be prosecuted for poisoning my land, my family, my pets and the wildlife that inhabits my land! HELP!

0 1 Reply
George

May 15, 2014 #815563

Tru Green advertises on the net that their fertilizer is safe for lakes. But it contains bone meal which is composed of phosphorus, one of the two worst ingredients (along with nitrates) to go into a lake. They both promote growth of plants - which means hello invasive species such as Eurasion milfoil and goodbye to swimming and boating in the lake because the weeds will grow!!

TruthGreen

Jan 08, 2014 #770574

I am a Trugreen employee. I don't understand your "head ache and itchy tongue" I spray these chemicals 40+ hours a week and have never experienced these symptoms. Perhaps yoy should see a doctor.

7 9 Reply

May 19 #986186

Everyone is different some people are more susceptible than others. Some people's bodies are very sensitive to chemicals. When I am around the smell of certain plastics, pesticides and herbicides, and even strong perfumes, I not only get a headache and sore throat, but I am often dizzy and vomiting.
I won't say you are lucky as your tolerance equals longer term exposure, which will very possibly translate to health concerns down the line for you. There are too many studies linking workers with long term health problems including respiratory diseases and cancers. I guess some people's bodies are better warning them than others.

Jul 26 #1012249

Your sensitivity is your problem, not your neighbors.

Organix Advocate

Nov 30, 2013 #750512 Emporia, Virginia

TruGreen "ChemicalLawn" is doing nothing but poisoning OUR planet. They hire inexperienced seasonal workers that couldn't care less, nor know how to do their jobs correctly. After researching the myriad of complaints against their parent ServiceMaster; I ask everyone to BOYCOTT any of their businesses. All of the lawsuits against their companies are DISGRACEFUL! One lie will lead to more! Help save our planet!!

2 1 Reply
Mountainrose

Jun 12, 2013 #663818

TruGreen poisons our environment. Honestly the fact that people don't see it is beyond me. All lawn sprays should be illegal!!!!!

2 2 Reply
Jason

Jan 12, 2013 #592759

I worked for TruGreen for 7 years. I stuck it out for that long under the expectations that things would get better. Ultimately I got fed up and quit as I was tired of being lied to. TruGreen could not care less about the chemical contamination of our communities. They had me out on properties 10 times a year; sometimes applying pesticides in the pouring rain. (Light rain is good/Heavy rain is NOT!). And also had Techs spraying trees & shrubs in 40mph winds. (Any spraying over 20mph is wrong!). Work days were NEVER called-off due to bad weather. Managers would just tell us to work though the heavy rain & high winds. "We can't take the risk of not hitting budget for the week/month/year." they would tell us. And yes, the sales tactics that Trugreen uses are very agressive, and deceptive!!! LIES?? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!!

8 3 Reply
Zayph0d

Jan 03, 2013 #589042 Renton, Washington

Trugreen, like any company, is not perfect, but I have used their service for 20 years. They rarely have to spray herbicides and have used a phosphate product for 20 years. Did you know that truly organic fertilizers (From compost or animal waste) are loaded with phosphorous? The pelletized synthetic stuff they use is much safer for the environment because it has no phosphorous. If you look carefully at the hoses they use for liquid lawn treatment, you will notice that there are actually two hoses connected together - One is for the environmentally friendly urea nitrogen and the other is for the pesticide which is put down with large droplets that wouldn't drift more than a foot off target even in 40 mph winds - the pesticides are delivered only as needed through the second hose - not blanket applied. The pesticides take over 10 years of testing by the EPA before being allowed on the market. If your body is reacting to something, it's likely not the pesticides - Or, in some extreme cases, folks are registered with the state as Chemically sensitive (Very rare cases).

Additionally, the fertilizers break down in the soil - not into the air as was commented by someone. If Trugreen's treatment procedures were polluting our environment as badly as some folks claim, the EPA would have to shut them down. I sense a degree of exaggeration in some of the posts I've read.

As for their customer service, I hear they have just spent several million dollars
... Show more

1 3 Reply
Kate's grandma

Mar 15, 2013 #623555 Atlanta, Georgia

:upset (Insert Scooby Doo baffled noise)
You are kidding, right? The EPA doesn't test any lawn or agricultural chemicals for ANY amount of time. They allow a product on the market based on what the manufacturer tells them. After it has been on the market for several years, scientists begin to measure its impacts on the environment and on people and animals. If they find harm is being done, then it usually has to come up for reregistration before the EPA will even take a look at it. This process may take years and the big chemical companies have mega-dollars to influence the process. Many home and yard chemicals have been taken off the market when they proved harmful, but only after years and years of people being exposed and harmed by them.

Not all of the "fertilizers" or pesticides "break down in the soil". The chemical stench that can be smelled several houses away, is off-gassing. You smell it because it is in the air. Nitrogen fertilizers release nitrogen into the air (upper atmosphere ozone depletion). Virtually all lawn chemicals get moved by water, into the street, down the storm drain, into streams, lakes, rivers, etc. Even organic fertilizers impact algae growth in water and water quality.

Many are extremely persistent. That is a selling point-this will keep the weeds out of your yard for.....
Many are endocrine disruptors. That is how they kill the weeds
... Show more

4 1 Reply
J

Apr 19, 2013 #639518 Norfolk, Virginia

I agree with most of your comment however nitrogen does not destroy ozone. I work in the HVAC business and can tell you that it is chlorine not nitrogen. Nitrogen is an inert gas. It makes up about 60-70% of the atmosphere. But I do agree with you trugreen sucks.

Diogen

May 28, 2013 #657075

The EPA has been known to succumb to the pressure of influence so citing EPA approval does not make something safe.
The pesticides evaporate in the air and pose a hazard to anyone who breathes them.
Companies and people often will do anything for money. I suspect that is happening with Trugreen.

Montani

Jun 06, 2013 #661325 Ashburn, Virginia

Tru-Green just destroyed my garden, 30 year old grapevines, 2 new pear trees, five blueberry bushes I planted last year and damaged my blackberries by spraying 2-4-D on my neighbors lawn on a hot windy day. Contamination has been verified by my state agriculture department! Don't tell me they are a good company!

Used and abused X employee

Oct 27, 2012 #560957

Human resources was implemented into companies to look out for employees, not at TruGreen. They are there to find luppoles in employees, hold it against them, and force them out. They lie to you and gain trust through disete. They tell you one thing,then turn around and do another. They say they are there for you, yet are there only for themselves.if you work hard at TG you are persecuted or terminated. If you are a GM and play video games all day you are praised.or if you are a regional customer service manager and make personal calls all day you are praised too. The company spent $1000000 dollars on a new phone system that totally destroyed customer service, took the auditors out of most branches, changed the lawn program and raised the price by 70%, all this in a poor economy, screwed sales reps out of their commissions, yet expected the sales departments to crush their numbers. Well *** runs down hill and so the big boys fill there pockets while the heart of the company is persecuted.

Past T.G. employee

Jun 03, 2012 #490157

As a former TruGreen employee, I know first-hand on how TruGreen trains/coaches their employees to downplay the toxicity of their lawn & landscape pesticides.
TruGreen always artfully dodges this issue by saying that their "products" are "carbon based" and pose a "negligable risk" to people, animals and the environment.
However, the Techs will be made to spray in the wind & rain in order to hit their daily production quota. A lot of the time the Lawn Tech's pant legs will be encrusted white from the back-drift of the spray "product".
And yes, TruGreen's salesmen will tell you lies to sell you their services in order to hit their quota. The Marketing Manager would tell the salesmen that "Buyers are liers". And to handle the word NO to get to the word YES, by saying to their prospects whatever it took to seal the deal, and close the sale. Yet there were signs posted all over the office stating that TruGreen's #1 philosophy is "To honor God in all we do". And that Associates are to "Delite Customers" Lies? You bet!!

FairfieldCT

May 18, 2012 #482475

I am not taking sides but I have noticed that there seems to be this idea that the "spray" or liquid fertilizer applications are somehow hazardous and dangerous compared to the dry, granular products. What needs to be realized is that the liquid is not aerosol or airborne, it comes out like a garden hose with water and will not get into the air or harm you. The applications are highly dilute with water to make the application uniform and any pesticide is less than 2%, if at all. Your pet can't eat a liquid application, but granular leaves product visible and could be eaten, not that it would harm anything. I imagine any fertilizer tastes bad and a pet would not continue to eat it once it gets the initial taste. Nitrogen and Potassium are the same regardless of liquid or granular.

0 1 Reply
Truthseeker

May 28, 2013 #657081

You lie when you say the chemicals do not get into the air. When neighbors have their lawns treated by Trugreen, I can smell it all over the neighborhood.
STOP TRUGREEN.

4 0 Reply
Hubert D Walker

May 13, 2012 #479760

I have had Tru Green a little over two years &
did not realize what it was doing to me until I ended up in the hospital three times this year.my wife finally convenced me it was the spray doing this to me.Idon't want them on my property again.My Doctor told to stop it now before it was too late.If it isn't already.

1-20 of 44 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Trugreen.
Filing a new complaint about
×